You're Still "IT"


With Halloween coming up I have been thinking about the funny little outfits that kids wear or in some case what we MAKE our kids wear. That lead me to think about just dressing up as a kid. (I know my thoughts jump around pretty quickly!) I remember trying on my Mom's shoes, her scarfs, or anything else I could get a hold of at the time. I always thought the item fit me just right!

I even remember sneaking into my Granny's bathroom and trying on ALL of her make-up (even that crazy shade of orange lipstick, which I will always be impressed she wore). That escapade I certainly got in trouble for though.

As I got a bit older, I still borrowed my Mom's shoes (just my size) but took an interest in politics. My Dad was in the state legislature during the time and I swore up and down I was going to be governor one day. I got plugged into everything my Dad was into because I just knew I would end up in the political scene.

Well, I can STILL fit into my Mom's shoes, which now has been flipped because SHE likes fitting into mine as well! Isn't it funny how we have such an esteem for our parents as we grow up. We want to dress like them, perhaps have a similar job. They are the "IT" grown-up!

I think as parents we forget that about our kids. They may look older, talk older, and be bigger than you, but deep inside you're still "IT" for them. Maybe somewhere along the road, for some, peers have told them differently about you. That you're out of touch, can't relate, or too busy to care.

This is what I LOVE LOVE LOVE about Reality Check Inc! We flip that on it's ugly head! We are seeing kids talking to their parents again. Kids excited about being around YOU! Reality Check Inc. programs are there to usher in that respect and redeem that esteem for you as a parent. Listen to these kids:

"I became closer to my mom because of the homework. I learned how to ask my mom personal questions. I also made the decision to stay abstinent until marriage. This class made me realize a lot of important things about life!"

"Knowing the facts on std's, this class has impacted me to tell my mom what's going on in my life. My boyfriend and I have had sex and we promised to slow things down. I've taken a lot from this class and it's helped me think about my future and my decisions."


"This class has lightened my path for the future. It has shown me that my life it's my choice and if I live it with integrity, then it will turn out the best choices ever. Along with my parents, Reality Check is a supportive organization that pushes me to be a great person."

"Reality Check impacted me because I knew some of the risks that could happen if I have sex before marriage but I didn't know there were SO many things that could happen. I promised my mom not to have sex before marriage and after learning all of this stuff I am going to keep my promise to my mom and myself.
"

Now the question is...Will you live up to the esteem they'll bring?

No comments:

Post a Comment