She's Pushing Me, Aunt Kiki!


Isn't perception a funny thing...

Recently, my daughter (17-months old, "L") and my niece (3 yrs old)
were playing together at a baby shower I was attending. Everything seemed to be going okay between the two of them, until my niece came out of the room and told me that "L" was pushing her. Of course I felt awful and told my niece I was sorry that she had pushed her.

We brought the girls back out into the front room so my sister and I could keep an eye on them. Shortly afterward, the girls were standing by the food table and suddenly my niece looks at me and says "She's pushing me!"

As I saw what was happening, I started to chuckle and bent down to explain to my niece what was happening. "L" loves to gives her Daddy and I "massages". If our backs are within reach, she will pat our backs and we usually say "Ah, thanks for the massage!" She LOVES to do it to people she's close too (i.e. her Daddy, me, her Nana, her Poppi). Apparently, she thought that my niece was needing a good back massage! She was all grins as she was giving her cousin pats on the back.

After I explained to my niece what a massage was and that "L" wasn't trying to push her, I asked if she minded if "L" gave her a massage. My niece looked up at me, with "L" patting her back, and said "Of course not! It actually feels really good."
(really old pic)

Again, isn't perception funny?! Once my niece realized what was going on, it wasn't so bad after all.

Makes me think, "What's in my life that I have a wrong perception about?" What about you? Is it the image or reputation that your student is trying to give off? Is it in the comparison you draw between yourself and someone else? Strip away the perceptions and get to the root. Seek the truth!! Don't just settle for your perception of the situation.

What are some perceptions you have?

No comments:

Post a Comment