TRUTH: Do They Want It?

What a great day. Yesterday I had the honor to share important life information with some young women. I wasn’t really sure how they took the information when we finished. It was hard to judge where they were at emotionally and mentally.

Intimacy is a sensitive topic to discuss and when you are sharing STD information as well it can be a heavy topic. I was going to say a “heavy conversation” or “heavy discussion” instead of topic but there really wasn’t any discussion or conversation yesterday. There was silence and wide eyed looks. So it was really more of a monologue.
I was headed to meet with them again this morning with a little bit of nervousness. Were they hearing, did they feel this was helpful information, do they really care, or do they just wish we would go away and allow them to do something else with their time? How many times have I heard that teens don’t care, they’re going to have sex anyway, don’t waste your time, just teach them how to use a condom? So, needless to say I had almost psyched myself out before I got out of the car.

When I walked in and saw those amazing girls, I thought how can we not share this powerful, life changing information with them. They deserve to have the complete, liberating truth so they can reach their dreams, understand their value, their potential, and have a successful future.

Amazingly enough, and I don’t know why I am surprised, but the girls greeted all of us with a totally different attitude than in previous days. The attitude of defensiveness and suspicion were gone and replaced by an attitude of grateful friendship, respect and trust. They were amazing in their recall of all they learned yesterday and a true discussion or conversation began to take place.

We see this time and time again, I don’t know why I let the “mantra” of a liberal bias place doubt on what the power of truth does to the human heart and soul. I saw young women walk out of class today more confident, powerful, thoughtful, and prepared to set strong boundaries to achieve their dreams.
I will never forget the feeling and emotions of one young lady’s hug and whispered, “Thank you so much for telling us the truth. You don’t know how much the information you’ve shared has helped me.” Truth! Amazing, Uniting, Liberating, Truth! Got to love it!

- Guest Writer/Reality Check Inc. Instructor

No comments:

Post a Comment