What is Love?

I walked into an all girls class today, February 14, Valentine’s Day. The room was buzzing with giggles, about who got flowers or candy from whom and who didn’t. They were all excited to talk about “Love”. I even heard a girl quote the line from the old song, “Love is all there is.” I was just as excited to talk about “love”. But I was excited about the opportunity to give them the truth, not the mush and mixed up message they receive through today’s media, peers, and society in general. We are going on a journey of discovery that will end with these young women holding their heads up with confidence, empowered by the knowledge that:

I have value and worth. I am here for a purpose. I can make decisions to reduce and even eliminate negative risk. I have skills to take positive risk for a successful future. I understand true love, honorable character and genuine integrity. I will not be manipulated or taken advantage of because I didn’t understand my unique design both emotionally and physically. I will dream and I will be empowered with skills to make those dreams reality. I can’t change the past, but I can take charge and change my future, and that future is bright.

For me it is going to be a great two weeks. But for many of those girls, it is the beginning of a great new life.

No comments:

Post a Comment